Sunday, October 29, 2006

Learning a New Language

It was one of my dreams to learn Hindi, the singing language. I was always fascinated by hindi words expressed in the movies. I didn't understand anything in those movies but listened to them as I was listening to music. I know when we opened our eyes to see the first ray of light in this world, we were unable to speak a single word in any language. It was our environment which made us fluent in the languages we practise.
If you put forth some extra effort you will not only learn another language but also experience the joy of the strength of words you are using and their effect on people.
I started with butter which I spread on bread for my breakfast. Here is what I have found.
The Hindi Urdu for BUTTER is MAKKHAN
Imagine making butter; it is hard work.
I started with breakfast. How long will it take for me to reach the night and master the most facsinated language I have ever heard.

1 comment:

Roshanthi said...

Hmmm I totally agree about learning new languages, actually these days I'm trying to learn a bit of spanish from my friends in Uni. I too learnt a few hindi words from the movies.